Sunday, February 3, 2008

More guests!

Nick, a friend (and former coach) of mine came to visit with his girlfriend Sue for a week in. It was great to see him, and catch up about random stuff. He was the one who started my love of scotch, and he brought a great bottle of Maccallan. I was absolutely amazed by the number of places they went to, the explored various temples, the palaces, and the fish market. I will need to look at his pictures to figure out where to go.

I met one of his friends, a professor at Yonsei, and that led to me buying a book of a friend of his friend Gabe about a Korean-American in the US. "Native Speaker" I read it in about a week, the first book I had read in a while! It was funny though, there were debates involving where to meet, and it is reminiscent of NYC. If you live South of the river in Seoul, your motivation to go North is much lower. We ended up meeting Gabe up north twice though, and I am glad we did since the food we found in Insadong was fantastic!

Nicks brother, who is stationed over here in the Air Force came up for the weekend. They went to the DMZ (there was NO way I was getting up at 6 am on a Saturday, even though I do plan to visit the DMZ one of these weekends!) We intended to have a good night out in Hongdae, but we went to Hooters (Nick's brother wanted proof about the dances they do on the hour), and we ended up staying there for 2.5 hours and 3 dances. We have video proof now though!

And finally, I was told a week or so afterwards, they got engaged while they were here!

No comments: