Saturday, July 26, 2008

Not bad for a half day

When I woke up at 3 am this morning, I was worried. Oh boy, jet lag all over again, this will be a long day. I lay back down, and then turned over after what appeared to be a little more sleep. 11:30 am?!?! How did that happen? Needless to say I think my body wanted to recharge. That meant less time to show my aunt around Seoul, but we definitely made the most of it. First eating a famous ginger chicken soup, and then running a small errand (prescription sunglasses), we headed to the show Nanta (Cooking in the rest of the world, it has been on Broadway and done a number of tours). It turned out we had two hours before the show, and so we explored the neighborhood.

First stop was a local palace (which was across the street from us, and the only palace in Seoul my aunt had not seen!) Turns out they were shooting a Korean movie inside (and so we got a few pictures, and may have accidentally wandered into the picture once or twice. The other funny element was watching the actors take pictures of themselves with their camera phones. Afterwards we went into the Korean History museum for a quick tour and then back to see the show.

We sat in the front row of the show (and I had learned what this meant). Halfway through I was pulled up on stage to be an audience volunteer. While Didi, my aunt, could not get my camera to work, she managed to get the person behind me to take a photo of me exiting the stage. Apparently I was doing a good job of getting the crowd into it (it was a “dumpling making” competition between the blue and red team, and we won!)

Afterwards we went to dinner in Itaewon, a great Greek place, with a couple of friends, including a friend’s son (who is in high school and rows). A great way to end the day. Not bad for half of a day, right?

No comments: