Saturday, June 27, 2009

Samsung quality or not

I remember my 2nd cellphone very well - actually my 2nd and 3rd phones, since the 2nd one had the notorious issue of faulty wiring between the base and the speaker (it was a clamshell design). Needless to say after those experiences, I switched from Samsung phones, sick of the quality issues (which many of my friends had). On the whole there has been a lot of talk about how the quality has improved, but it was not evident last weekend. Over the course of 1.5 days, my screen stopped turning on (unless I slid the phone shut). The screen being on when you slide is shut is okay, but not if you actually want to access your address book, see who called, etc. (After missing a phone call on Friday night, I had to call back, asking "who is this?" and hoping I was not dialing an international number). Needless to say, it was an easy (and fairly cheap fix), but the same thing happened to Michelle's phone, and the camera on mine was also broken (that was not going to be a cheap fix. $50+ for a 1.3 megapixels of crap? sorry). So needless to say, I am not happy with the Samsung quality again, and I won't even get started on the fact that my computer battery lasts all of 10 minutes.

What I do find interesting will be the iphone launch over here. The pricing on the phone is very low, and a number of foreigners I know intend to purchase the phone. If iPhone succeeds in breaking into this market, it might be one of the best things for Samsung (a much needed wake-up call). The technology here is amazing, but services and quality (not that Apple is any better on that one, Nokia is though), not so much...Interesting times in Seoul!

No comments: