Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The problem with bloggers

...is that they can be #@$%. I made a mistake in addressing a blogger (for some reason screwing up his name). Now instead of ignoring my email, he choosing to respond not correcting my mistake, but being very rude to my company as a whole. Now as I had written a number of emails, but specifically personalized not just the name but the subject matter of each one, a flippant comment like that only frustrates someone. And the funny thing is that this behavior is encouraged as bloggers get more followers. I suppose it is fine that the world has some people with no class, but email and getting a following entitles people to assume that they can act this way. The real kicker is that I can't respond, because I am writing on behalf of my company, and the last thing I need is to get into PR trouble. But people take their jobs seriously, but also make mistakes.

So I am deleting the last portion of this rant, mainly because the update is that he ended up getting in touch with me later, and we have had several interesting dialogues since then. It does remind me about the impartiality of email and the challenges that it creates, but you do realize in the end that it is a person behind that address.

No comments: