Thursday, January 17, 2008

Speaking a little Korean does not mean fluent

So this happens to me every once and a while. I speak a bit of Korean, and then the floodgates open. During my physical therapy, I will speak the occasional word, and she will respond with about 20 sentences of Korean (all specific to my injury). After I stare back with a look of no comprehension for about 5 seconds she will explain in English. I swear though, it happens EVERY time. Maybe she thinks that I will retain what she said before. But in order to do that, I need to be able to actually pick out words (that is what was unfair about going to Japan, I could actually separate words, even if I did not understand their meaning!)

On the physical therapy side, turns out that my back is weaker than the average for my age. Was NOT expecting that one. Especially not after all of the core work that I had done. But I guess that is what the corporate world and rowing will do to you!

No comments: