Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It is official

So Samsung is not renewing my contract. I know a large portion of this is because I don’t want to stay in Korea (that and maybe I have frustrated them too much). It is too bad though, I have had a great time in Korea and part of me is sad to leave. I will say that it is interesting the difference between Korea and the US. In the US, you never know where someone will end up. Potentially a colleague, or partner, etc. At Samsung you know that all of your Korean colleagues will stay in Korea at Samsung (with only 1-2 exceptions). So if you decide to leave, they have less inclination to be friendly to you. I think some of it is an overall group mentality, you are either in the group, or not. And if you are not in the group, then you just don’t matter as much. It can be frustrating, but you can’t easily change the way a society views each other.

No comments: